Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Stuck in an emergency in UAE -who ya gonna call

I can't believe its been 6 days since my last post. It's been a very busy time with all kinds of interviews and this afternoon its the turn of OK Middle East, yesterday I was interviewed by Sherry of Buzz magazine.

This morning on the radio show we had an incredible response to a story we had picked up on from the local newspapers here in Dubai. Dubia Police inundated with wrong calls to 999. Would you believe it some people even have the guts to dial 999 and ask for directions or to complain about taxi drivers. I couldn't believe what we were hearing and reading. The repsonse from the listeners to the programme was tremendous. I have to say thank you to Bob Farrow - general manager of Hertz rent a car UAE and Adam Ketchel- host of City 7 tv' s In Gear- Bob also contributes on a regular basis to the tv show.

999 is for Police
998 ambulance
997 fire

800 4353 - if you witness wrecklace and careless driving on the roads of Dubai


We aslo looked into the prospect of ICE- in case of emergency- logging your next of kin details on your mobile phone - Contacts - I - ICE

Thanks to eithnor treanor aswell for popping in to discuss her latest tv correspondant deal with CNBC and her trip to OPEC on Friday- check out http://webcast.opec.org

3 comments:

Seabee said...

Sorry I missed the show because I would have called in about the emergency number issue. It's not "having the guts" to misuse it, people aren't aware that they are misusing it! The problem is lack of information and education.
I went into it in some length on my blog and the comments made the same point.

Jeff Price said...

Thanks for your comment. We had a massive response to this. The aim of the exercise was public awareness. The discussion will certainly continue

Seabee said...

It certainly needs awareness Jeff, and obviously not just amongst the public. A comment left on my blog piece points out this morning's beach rescue report which includes a senior police officer telling beachgoers to check the weather forecast by dialling 999!!!